Welcome to my blog!


I completely abandoned it a year or so ago but I'm back, now, still trying to discern a call to ministry (?) and figure out how to weave the various strands of my spiritual interests together with what seems to be an insistent call I haven't yet answered.

How it will all look, I have no idea!

So these posts will be for me until I can figure out exactly what I will offer to others.

You're still welcome to join me for tea & contemplation. :)

Meditation Video

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What is Native American Astrology?

"Every culture on earth has a link to the invention of some form of astrology and various forms of calendar. … Native Americans have always been people of the land rather than city dwellers, so it is not surprising that the animals related to the seasons and areas in which they lived have become part of their astrology."—Deborah Durbin, Simply Native American Astrology

Seasons

"Native American astrology uses the images of creatures to depict the seasons. These creatures exist in addition to the twelve 'zodiac' signs of the medicine wheel. They mark the turning point of each season and also the turning points during each day (dawn, noon, dusk, mid-night). The four 'seasonal' creatures are the white buffalo, the golden eagle, the coyote, and the grizzly bear." -- Deborah Durbin, Simply Native American Astrology

They also connect different animals, seasons and elements to the four directions on the medicine wheel: North, South, East and West. Using medicine wheel astrology, you can discover your major power animal and your minor ones.

In the next post, we will talk about the twelve-month calendar and the major power animals for each one.

See you tomorrow!

Jeanine

No comments:

Post a Comment