Welcome to my blog!


I completely abandoned it a year or so ago but I'm back, now, still trying to discern a call to ministry (?) and figure out how to weave the various strands of my spiritual interests together with what seems to be an insistent call I haven't yet answered.

How it will all look, I have no idea!

So these posts will be for me until I can figure out exactly what I will offer to others.

You're still welcome to join me for tea & contemplation. :)

Meditation Video

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Concept of Animal Medicine

For Native Americans, "medicine" is anything that connects us more deeply to the divine or "Great Mystery", and to life, in general. Healing of our bodymind and our spirit is part of that and so is personal power.

"This medicine is also anything that brings personal power, strength, and understanding. It is the constant living of life in a way that brings healing to the Earth Mother and to all of our associates, family, friends and fellow creatures. Native American medicine is an all-encompassing 'way of life,' for it involves walking on the Earth Mother in perfect harmony with the Universe."-Jamie Sams and David Carson, Medicine Cards

Animal medicine suggests that we have access to this empowerment all the time because of our connection to certain animals that have come to be with us for a lifetime. But it also encourages us to ask for what we need if we do not have it. To borrow from the traits of animals who have what we need.

"When you call upon the power of an animal, you are asking to be drawn into complete harmony with the strength of that creature's essence. Gaining understanding from these brothers and sisters of the animal kingdom is a healing process, and must be approached with humility and intuitiveness." --Jamie Sams and David Carson, Medicine Cards

No comments:

Post a Comment